Thursday, August 15, 2013

eating my share: listen to the music

Ice cream trucks are a definitive sign of summer. In my neighborhood each truck has a different jingle to announce their presence, which means we've been listening to the ice cream melody for months now.

This week I recreated an ice cream truck favorite – the creamsicle. Creamsicles strike a perfect balance between light/fruity and rich/creamy. I froze some melon and blended it with yogurt, cream, vanilla and a splash of orange juice. Despite the lack of actual ice cream, it transported me straight to ice-cream-in-the-summertime bliss.

It's an enticing cross between breakfast and dessert. You should make it.




creamsicle smoothie
2 cups melon, cut into chunks and frozen
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup light or heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp honey
juice from half a small orange (plus more to taste)

To freeze the melon, arrange the chunks in a single layer on a baking sheet without letting the pieces touch each other. Transfer to the freezer for several hours or overnight.

Combine the frozen melon with the rest of the ingredients and process in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more orange juice if desired.

Alternately, you can turn this recipe into actual popsicles. Skip freezing the cantaloupe and just blend all the ingredients. Pour into your molds and freeze!


What's your favorite at the ice cream truck?
Jess



2 comments:

  1. I used my Zephyr cantaloupe for boozy purposes. I pureed and strained it, added fresh squeezed orange juice, rum, and pineapple juice. Then added seltzer water. Quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Humor Truck is my favorite ice cream truck. I have to try this recipe, Jess! Very good ideas.

    ReplyDelete