Friday, June 28, 2013

eating my share : seizing an opportunity

Sometimes, I hoard vegetables. Especially the hardy ones that store well, like cabbage. I already had a pretty purple head in the fridge when a big frilly napa cabbage came into my possession via Tuesday's veggie drop. It felt serendipitous because making kimchi has been on my to-do list for a while now. My opportunity had arrived.

I used this recipe as my guideline and now I've got a jar fermenting away at this very moment. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this spicy experiment.




The other half of the cabbage went towards making a slaw. It's perfect for hot days and adds a fresh crunch to your meal. These grilled zucchini tacos are a variation on a familiar meal for us. Tacos are a staple of our dinner rotation because they can be made in so many different ways and are always satisfying in a messy way. Grilling gives the zucchini some extra oomph and gets a nice char on those tortillas.




Grilled Zucchini Tacos
(serves 4)

2 medium zucchini
s&p
generous sprinkles of smoked paprika or chile powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
zest of 1 lime
1 tsp oil
8 corn tortillas

for taco assembly:
feta cheese, crumbled
fresh oregano or cilantro
plain greek yogurt – mixed with lime juice, sriracha and a pinch of salt
thinly sliced hakurei turnips or radishes (I didn't have these but I wish I did)

Cut each zucchini in half. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Toss wedges with oil, lime zest, and spices. Grill em up! Grill the tortillas as well.

Assemble your tacos with the various accoutrements, feeling free to add your own twist. My husband would have loved some thin strips of grilled steak and I can't wait to add corn and tomato salsa to these once the opportunity arrives.

Napa Cabbage Slaw with Snap Peas
(serves 4)

dressing:
1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar or honey
juice from 1 lime

slaw:
1/2 head of napa cabbage, sliced thinly
2 cups of snap peas, sliced thinly
2 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tbs sesame seeds

top with:
1/2 cup of cashews, toasted and roughly chopped

Combine all dressing ingredients in the bottom of a big bowl and whisk together. Add the other ingredients (minus cashews) and stir well. Give this mix some time to sit and soak in the flavors. It's amazing how much it shrinks down. Season to taste and top each portion with toasted cashews.


What do you make with napa cabbage?
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment