Wednesday, July 6, 2011

CSA Week 4

Hello Friends!

What a great week! We're soaring into summer quickly, and it shows as we keep adding more new and exciting additions to our CSA. This week's drop included:

Summer Squash
Cippolini Onions
Bunched Carrots
Garlic Scapes
Summer Crisp Lettuce
Red Leaf Lettuce
Cucumbers
Sugar Snap Peas
Scallions


For our feature recipe, Jess, an employee of Zephyr farm (and WONDERFUL cook!!) supplied us with a delicious concoction she made using sugar snap peas, Besto Pesto and onions (you can substitute for cippolini onions or scallions, also).


Seriously, everything that Jess makes is heaven, so I'm sure this recipe will be no exception!

I got really excited by cucumbers this week. They are so refreshing on hot summer days like we've had this week. One of my all-time favorite things to do with cucumbers is a simple cucumber salad. The easiest and one of my preferred salads is a Hungarian Cucumber salad, only containing 5 ingredients: cucumber, onion, cider vinegar, salt, sugar (and if you want red pepper flakes- which I want!). I made one tonight using one cucumber, sliced in thin half moons, 1-2 julienne (thinly sliced) onions- I used my cippolini onions, a few teaspoons of sugar and sea salt, a few tablespoons of cider vinegar and a sprinkle of red chili flakes. Obviously, taste and adjust to your liking. The longer it sits, the better. I like to make big batches and use it in various dishes throughout the week, or as a side for lunch. Tonight I made lettuce wraps with this cucumber salad, carrots, avocados, beets, rice noodles and squash (I used it raw). I made a dipping sauce with soy, hoisin, garlic scapes, lime juice, peanut butter and Sriracha. It was awesome on such a hot night!

I've also been asked for some recipe ideas for fennel, so I'm going to spit out a few. Besides the orange glazed fennel that I gave a few weeks ago, I really enjoy a simple fennel and lemon salad. Fennel is best sliced really thin (a mandolin works really well if you have one). It's great as a simple salad tossed with lemon, salt and a touch of olive oil. It's good on top of salads, as a slaw, or in stir fries. Fennel goes really well with orange and tomatoes. One of my favorite dishes is mussels simmered with white wine, thinly sliced fennel, onions, garlic, dill, diced tomato, orange segments/zest, a little curry powder and finished with a touch of butter. WOW!

I hope this week's blog has inspired you to get some cooking on. What are you making at home? Have you tried any of the recipes? Give us your feedback!

Bon Appetit!

-Leah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leah,
    I just wanted to say Thanks so much for doing this blog!!! I find it extremely helpful on so many levels. One, I often have to reference what it is I even have, as many of these delicious veggies are brand new to me. Two, I am a strict recipe chef and often lack the imagination to create the amazing dishes you can.

    I have made the scape, zuchinni, quinoa dish and it was so different and delicious. Also made the pasta by Jess which was awesome and so green! The cucumber salad and carrot/onion dish was my late night snack today, and also great. I really loved the carrot/cippolini onion dish....it had great flavor! I didn't have the time to roast it in the oven, so I simply sauteed it on the stove top and it was still terrific. The other great hit in my house is steamed and pureed summer squash....my infant can't get enough and she screams for more every time she's finished a meal of it.
    Thanks so much for the great fennel ideas. I hope to get to some of them!
    Looking forward to more new recipes and dishes.

    ReplyDelete