Fusilli Creamy Zucchini and Basil Sauce by Linda Kozloski
1 lb. zucchini, washed and cut into 3"x1/8" sticks
1 lb. fusilli
3 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon flour
⅓ cup milk
⅔ cup basil, roughly chopped
1 egg yolk, beaten lightly with a fork
½ cup Parmesan, freshly grated
¼ cup Romano Pecorino, freshly grated
vegetable oil, for frying
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. There should be enough oil that it comes at least 1/4' up the skillet (1/2" is suggested).
2. Fry the zucchini sticks a few at a time so as not to crowd. Fry until golden brown on both side then transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Drop fusilli into boiling water.
4. In another skillet melt half the butter and all the olive oil. Dissolve flour into the milk. When the butter begins to foam turn to medium low and stir in the milk & flour mixture a little bit at a time. Cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add the fried zucchini sticks, turning then 2 or 3 times, then add 1/4t of salt and the basil. Cook long enough to turn everything once or twice.
5. Take off the heat and swirl in remaining butter then rapidly add yolk and cheese and combine until an even sauce forms. Toss with pasta.